The Edinburgh botanic garden was founded in 1670 at St. Anne’s Yard, near Holyrood Palace, by Dr. Robert Sibbald and Dr. Andrew Balfour.
It is the second oldest botanic garden in Britain after Oxford’s. In 1763, the garden’s collections were moved away from the city’s pollution to a site on the road to Leith, and the garden moved to its present location at Inverleith in 1820.
The Temperate Palm House, which remains the tallest in Britain to the present day, was built in 1858. Some features of the botanic garden at Edinburgh are:
The garden, referred to by locals as “The Botanics”, is a popular place to go for a walk, particularly with young families.
Further details about The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh can be viewed on their website.
This article and images are licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article “Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh”.
Sign up for our offers and latest updates on our apartments - only available direct